Archaeology‎ > ‎

Wale book on archaeological finds

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P16
"It was in the middle of this field (in Whittlesfo​rd Road) that parts of a skeleton were found in May 1904. Pharoah-Ha​cker was digging stones and found it in a sitting position only two feet below the grass. There were enough bits of the skull, teeth and arm bones to be examined so Dr Wherry and Prof McKenny Hughes came from Cambridge to see them and decided that they were the remains of a Saxon woman. Besides the bones were two brass shoulder broaches, in good preservati​on, a metal buckle, and bits of a rusty instrument​, also a number of painted amber beads. These things have been preserved but the bones were reburied." From  A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P16
Comments