Books‎ > ‎

A Record of Shelford Parva

Click on the images from the Fanny Wale book to see larger versions of the pages which are easier to read.
 
To see an a-z content list of names that are contained in the book, click here
 
A BBC Radio Cambridgeshire interview and a Cambridge News article about the book can both be found at the bottom of this page.

To look at a later version of the book, including hand-written notes by Fanny Wale, click here

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale - cover
 
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale - third page before first main page Fo. 2,  page 0 (also in ink, deleted  ‘Add.8288’ referring to its formerly being in the University Library Department of Manuscripts): In memory of the sounds of Shelford parva in Cambridge’ a black and white watercolour of Shelford Mill by F.L. Wale.  [R105/081, unnumbered folio]
     
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale - first page of three before first main page Frontispiece (hinged with adhesive tape to the back of the front endsheet). An engraving of Thomas Wale, son of Gregory Wale, father of Sir Charles Wale, K.C.B. and grandfather of Colonel Robert Gregory Wale, with pedigree notes of the family on the back. [not in photographic copy, R105/081]
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale Second of three initial pages before numbering starts Frontispiece (hinged with adhesive tape to the back of the front endsheet). An engraving of Thomas Wale, son of Gregory Wale, father of Sir Charles Wale, K.C.B. and grandfather of Colonel Robert Gregory Wale, with pedigree notes of the family on the back. [not in photographic copy, R105/081]
 
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P1 fo. 3, page 1: A description of Great Shelford station inset within a deep border comprising a black and white watercolour depicting the station by F.L. Wale 1909, along the left hand side of the page is a miniature map of the villages of Stapleford and Great Shelford, and in the bottom right hand corner is a black and white watercolour of the L. Shelford parish milestone by F.L. Wale. The description is an introduction to the parish of Shelford and its surrounding area. [R105/081, fo.1]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P2 fo. 4, page 2: A description of the Station road formerly called WOOLLARDS LANE. A detailed map of Gt. Shelford is at the top of the page and a map showing the situation of houses in Shelford and the names of the inhabitants, this map runs along the sides of the page. [fo.2]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P3 fo. 5, page 3: A full page map of Great Shelford, half of which is drawn in black, half in red. The black side is a rough copy of a map drawn in 1833, the red side is a rough copy of a previous map to show where it joins up, with lists of reference and list of fires. The maps are not drawn to scale. [R105/081, fo. 3 is a photograph of a different map, apparently the professionally drawn map of 1833, including the list of fires, on which Fanny Wale’s drawn copy in black ink is based, but with added notes to it]
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P4 fo. 6, page 4:. On the left and right of the page are two black and white watercolours of the signs at the public house ‘Rail and Road’ and ‘Road and Rail’ depending on which sign you look at. Underneath in the centre of the page is a black and white colour of the Grange or Corney Hall at Shelford. At the bottom is another public house sign ‘The Peacock’ drawn in watercolour. In the left hand corner is a black and white watercolour of the Torel family's coat of arms and information to do with the Grange. [fo. 4]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P5 fo. 7, page 5: Description of Great Shelford church and the National school written in 1908. At the top of the page is an engraving from the Gentleman's Magazine of the church with a ruined tower, 1799. At the bottom of the page is a post card of Great Shelford church bought in Shelford Post Office 1910. To the left is a description of the gardener of the church yard. Bordering the pictures and writing is a black and white watercoloured frame with flowers on it. [fo. 5]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale Back of page 5. fo. 7v, back of page 5: describes the Turnpike and Granta river with the names of inhabitants of relevant houses. [back of fo. 5]
 A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P6
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P7 fo.9, page 7:. At the top of the page is a black and white watercolour of the Manor house grounds, Shelford hall garden and Lodge, the boundary between Great and Little Shelford is marked. Underneath is a coloured watercolour painting of the Turnpike cottage and a description of the man who took care of it. At the bottom is a black and white watercolour of the carp pond made by Thomas Wale 1767, copied in 1909 from a sketch by Louisa Wale of 1851. A black and white watercolour border of foliage borders the three pictures. [fo. 7]
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P8 fo.10, page 8: A map of Great and Little Shelford with some details of property. [fo. 8]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale - Back of page 8 fo. 10v, back of page 8: A pencil sketch of Bathing Place by Colonel R.G. Wale, 6 August 1887.  [not in photographic copy]
 
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P9 fo. 11, page 9: A black and white watercolour of the bridges at Shelford copied from a pencil sketch of 1816; below it is a description of the boundary between Great and Little Shelford. Surrounding the writing is a black and white and coloured watercolour of wild flowers and animals. [fo.9]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P10 fo. 11v, page 10: At the top of the page is a description of the 'path to the water mill'. A watercolour is beneath it of Shelford Parva and Magna bridges. Another description of the stream is below this. At the bottom is a black and white watercolour of some ash trees at the perch hole 1901. A quartette by Dr. Amas is written in the right hand corner with a watercolour of some leaves. The page was arranged in 1908-1911. [fo.10]
 
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P11 fo. 12, page 11: A black and white watercolour of Kings Flour Mill at Shelford Magna in 1871 is at the top of the page. Below this is a description of the mill and the miller written in 1914. Below this is a postcard of the mill in 1915 and a photograph of the mill in 1915. The page is bordered by a black and white watercolour design of foliage. [fo.11]
 
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P12 fo. 13, page 12: A historical description of Durnford Dale (the river near Durnford Mill), with a watercolour. It was written in 1916. [fo.12, but lacks title and within Mount F]
 
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale - back of page 12 fo. 13v, back of page 12:. Extract relating to Shelford from Inquisitio Comitatus ‘from pp.48-49 of a book by Hamilton’ with table of allotments referring to the facing inclosure map [neither in photographic copy]
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P13 fo. 14, page 13: A map of Little Shelford with table of old inclosures traced from the inclosure map of 1813. [fo.13, but lacking the table of old inclosures]
 
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P14 fo. 15, page 14: (a continuation of page 12). A coloured watercolour of Glebe farm and information on who lived in the cottages between 1912-1914. Inset within a picture mount [Mount A] decorated with black and white watercolour of foliage surrounds the page. [fo.14]
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P15 fo. 16, page 15: At the top of the page is a black and white watercolour of 'Sain Foins' a house, with description of its appearance and people associated with it. At the bottom of the page is a tale of witches living in Shelford. A watercolour of a flower surrounds the page [fo.15]
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P16

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P17 fo. 18, page 17: At the top of the page is a postcard of Little Shelford Back Lane, c. 1910 A description of Red cottages and King William close below. At the bottom is a black and white watercolour of 'Westfields' a house in Little Shelford. A watercolour of foliage borders the page. [fo.17]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P18  fo. 19, page 18:. At the top of the page is a postcard of 'Westfields' in 1915 followed by a description of the house and family residing in it 1915. Crests of the Wigmore and Gillingham families, are at the right and left hand corner and a family tree. [fo.18]
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P19  fo. 20, page 19:. A black and white watercolour of Hall farm seen from the Maltern close, a description follows this of Maltern Close and King William pub with coloured water- colour borders. [fo.20, but without additional note in the original]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P20   fo. 21, page 20: Note of plough Monday celebrations. A description of High Street and Elm cottage. A family tree of the Elbourn and Hackers, who lived there. A pencil sketch of Elm cottage is in the left hand corner, with note of wounded Belgian soldiers who lodged locally. Surrounded by a full-size photographic copy of picture mount C. [not in photographic copy]
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P21  fo. 22, page 21: A description of old Pett's Yard, Litchfields yard, and of the Carrier's Cart public house, 1912-1915. The watercolour border is of elm seed pods.  [fo.20, but within mount C]
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P22 fo. 23, page 22: A black and white watercolour of Low Brooms, residence of Colonel T. Wood, R.A., us at the top of the page. A description of it is underneath. Two photographs, one of Hackers cottage, High Street, 1915 and one of what was once called Petts Yard, 1918. A watercolour of a gramophone is on the left hand side of the page. [fo.21, but within mount C]
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P23 fo. 24, page 23: Description of High Street cottages, written in 1911 (built in 1870 and 1900). A photograph of High Street, Little Shelford is at the top of the page, and another one at the bottom. [not in photographic copy]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P24 fo. 25, page 24: Two photographs of south-east side of Kirby Lodge in 1874 and 1915 are at the top of the page. A description of Kirby Lodge is underneath them, written in 1914. At the bottom of the page is a photograph of the entrance gates at Kirby Lodge. On the right hand side is a watercolour of a dog born in the Boer War, and named Bobs in memory of General Lord Roberts, owned by Mrs. H. Thompson who owned the Lodge. [fo.22, but within mount C]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P25 fo. 26, page 25: A black and white watercolour of Kings Farm in 1916 is at the top of the page. Description of Kirby Lodge continues with details of the Thompson family. At the bottom of the page is a description of 'White farm' and its inhabitants 1916, and a watercolour of Mount View cottages with the obelisk in the distance on Newton Hill, and a small map of the directions in which Newton, Shelford and Hauxton face.  [fo.23 but within mount C]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P26 fo. 27, page 26: A watercolour copied from a sketch of 1852 by Louisa Wale of Kings Farm followed by a description of the house and its inhabitants. At the bottom of the page is another picture (b and w watercolour) of Kings Farm showing alterations since 1852. [fo.25, but within mount C]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P27 fo. 28, page 27: At the top of the page is a black and white watercolour of the chapel, Ellums thatched cottage, Stearn's House, Butlars House and shop, Elbourns house and Kings Farm. A description of Mrs. Cooper's private school, written in 1915. A note about the Roll of Honour is at the bottom of the page. [fo.24 but within mount C]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P28 NB currently out of sequence with other pages in this album fo. 29, page 28: A description of Elbourne's House is at the top of the page followed by a description of the butler's premises. Towards the bottom of the page is a piece on Stearn's cottage. A Roll of Service of Little Shelford men in 1915 is pasted in at the bottom of the page. [fo.26 but within mount C]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P29 fo. 30, page 29: A photograph of the Church Street, Little Shelford and the Prince Regent public house is at the top of the page. A description of the photograph follows it. At the bottom of the page is a watercolour of the cottages belonging to Mr. G. Austin and a description of them and their inhabitants underneath. [fo.27 but within mount B]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P30 fo. 31, page 30: Description of Church Street to the junction roads to Newton and Hauxton. A photograph of 'New garden field cottages' called 'Mount View Terrace' with a list of inhabitants, c.1915. [fo.28 but within mount B]
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P31 fo. 32, page 31: At the top of the page there is a black and white watercolour of a view from Manor farm of the Hauxton Road and a description of it, 1914; and a family tree of the Mansfield family. At the bottom is a watercolour of the railway crossing the road just beyond which lies the boundary between Shelford and Hauxton. The page is inset within a decorated picture mount [Mount B].  [not in photographic copy]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P32 fo. 33, page 32: A photograph of Hauxton Road, Little Shelford and description of the Austin family and a description of the Gall family and family tree. A description of Woodville Lodge. [fo.29 but within mount B]
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P33 fo. 34, page 33: A watercolour of the obelisk on St. Margaret's Mount in the memory of Gregory Wale. Below this is a short biography of Gregory Wale. A border of leaves identified as by Louisa S. Wale surrounds the page. [fo.31]

Profile of Fanny Wale For page 40 onwards of A Record of Shelford Parva and to look at a searchable PDF version of the book click here
Subpages (45): View All
Ć
BBCCambs_FannyWale_ShelfordParva_Interview.mp3
(6227k)
David Martin,
16 Jan 2013, 05:19
Ċ
David Martin,
23 Jan 2013, 07:32
Comments