A Record of Shelford Parva (2)


A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P34 fo. 35, page 34: Two black and white watercolours of The Bright Smiths' house and the Red House both with descriptions, written in 1914. [fo.30 but within mount B]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P35 fo. 36v, page 35: A photograph of a painting of John Everett, Clerk and Sexton to All Saints by F.L. Wale in 1903, with note on the church window in memory of the Revd. Malcolm Wale. [not in photographic copy]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P36 fo. 37, page 36: A watercolour of the camping close and Everetts cottages in High Street and Ingleside in Church Street. A short biography by John Everett, church clerk at Shelford Parva, his wife Jane Austin, and a Russian servant. A small map showing Little Shelford between High Street and Whittlesford Road at the bottom of the page. [fo.32 but within mount B]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P37 fo. 38, page 37: The blacksmiths corner. At the top of the page is a photograph of Charles Elbourne (blacksmith) and his grandson Charlemagne. There is a description of the Elbourne family and a family tree. Inset within a picture mount [Mount C] [fo.34, but lacking the family tree and within mount D]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale Back of page 37 (NB currently out of order in the album) fo. 38v, back of page 37: Photograph of a watercolour of Miss Elizabeth Finch, Sunday School teacher, at her house in Church Street, Little Shelford, by F.L. Wale.
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P38 fo. 39, page 38:. A description of Benoni or Ingleside; at the bottom of the page is a watercolour view of shop, Ingleside - Wisby's cottage - obelisk pump - Blacksmithy in Little Shelford. The page is inset within a picture mount [Mount D]. [fo.35]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P39 fo. 40, page 39: A watercolour copy in colour of an oil painting of Pallavicini's House belonging to Miss E. Finch, copied by F.L. Wale in 1892, with black and white photograph of same.  [not in photographic copy]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P40 fo. 41, page 40: Church and Rectory. At the top of the page is a black and white watercolour of Webb's cottage next to the Chequers pub with a description of it, of Gall's Cottages, and the public house. There is a postcard at the bottom showing Galls house and cottages, - chequers pub; Rose cottage and post office, 1915.  [fo.37]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P41 fo. 42, page 41: A description of Caguga cottage with a copy of a pencil sketch by Louisa Wale in 1852 showing Gall's Cottage. Description written in 1909.  A note at the top of the page ‘This thatched cottage built in 15th century style was pulled down in 1952’.  [fo.36 but within mount D]
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P42 fo. 43, page 42: At the top of the page is a photograph of a water colour painted by F.L. Wale (Mrs. Charles Gee and Mr. Charles Gee). A short biography of the Gees and their cottage, 1914.  Notes on the rector and family.  A description of the Rider family.  [not in photographic copy]
 
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P43 fo. 44, page 43: Church Street: A description of primrose villa 1909-14 and a family tree of the Godfrey family who resided in the said house and a short biography of the family. Note on the autumn manoeuvres of the Engineers and Sappers, in Newton, July 1912.  [not in photographic copy]
Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P44 fo. 45, page 44: Families all connected with 'All Saints Church': The Taylor family The Pettit family A description of Cintra Lodge The Gifford family The Prior family The Ellum family.  [not in photographic copy]
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P45  fo. 46, page 45: At the top: note on Cintra Lodge, used by refugees from Antwerp in 1915. A watercolour of the Three Horseshoes and small building nearby in Shelford by F.L.W. Underneath is a description of the public house 1916. [not in photographic copy]


A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P47 fo. 48, page 47: A continuation of page 65 with description of Major Vernon Harcourt de Butts Powell's military career, with drawings of Highgate School cadet and army medals, gravestone underneath; also transcript of royal telegram sent on his death and notes on other relatives at war, including Powell’s brothers Edward and Robert and sister Norah, added 1919-21 and 1928. [not in photographic copy]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P46 fo. 47, page 46: A watercolour of West end of Evening school or Studies cottage. At the bottom is a watercolour of its north end view from the churchyard. A description of the school accompanies the pictures. [fo.47]


A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P48 fo. 49, page 48: 1917 All Saints Church: A black and white watercolour picture of north side of All Saints Church. An explanation of the Lettice charity fund and a description of the Paynes of Little Shelford with a family tree.  [fo.46]

   
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P49 fo. 50, page 49: A coloured watercolour of the side chapel of All Saints Church with Ingle and Finch family descriptions and biography 1911, two watercolours of plates show the sort of plates used by the Finch family. [fo.38]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P50 fo. 51, page 50: A photograph of the brasses to the Frevilles in All Saints Church, below which are 5 sketches of tablets to be found in the church in remembrance of the Finch and Ingle families, also a photo of a testimonial which names owners of seat and sidechapel. [fo.43]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P51 fo. 52, page 51: A black and white watercolour painting of the church interior with information of the interior of the church, 1914. Underneath that is information on the bells and ringers of 'All Saints Church'. [fo.41, but lacking tile design at the foot, and within mount E]


A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P53 (NB There are two pages with the numbers 53 at the bottom) fo. 54, page 531: At the top of the page is a watercolour of the tomb-stone of Sir John de Freville, description of exterior of church below. At the bottom of the page three sketches, one of the window at the south chancel, Saxon coffin lid and tablet in memory of Thomas Mitchel. [fo.42]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P52 fo. 53, page 52: 'All Saints Church' Little Shelford coloured watercolour ‘before the single large arch was built 1855’, 1853. [fo.40]


A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P53 (NB There are two pages called P53 - this is the second of two) fo. 55, page 532:At the top of the page is a watercolour of ‘All Saints Church’ and rectory and a description of the church by Louisa Wale, 1843, copied by F.L. Wale, 1914. [fo.39, but within mount D]

   
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P54 fo. 56, page 54: A painted photograph of Little Shelford church before restoration in 1879. List of rectors of Little Shelford, below that is a coloured photograph of the old parsonage, Little Shelford, c.1915. [fo.44]


A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P56 fo. 57, page 56: A coloured watercolour of ‘Modern Rectory’ and description of it with a larger watercolour of the windows and wisteria, within a picture mount [Mount E].  [fo.45, but without the title ‘Modern Rectory’]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P57 (NB There are two P57 - this is the first) fo. 58, page 57: At the top is map showing site of Old Church House with description of it. At bottom: map of the Camping Close and surroundings, 1914 (property of the Wales since 1790). [fo.33, but within mount D]


A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P57 (NB There are two P57 - this is the second) fo. 58v, [back of] page 57: At the top of the page is a large watercolour of leaves and flowers. Below there is a description of the Mausoleum, the dangerous road junction and stone cross and below is a watercolour of All Saints Church, and 'Mausoleum Corner', 1909.  [fo.48]


A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P58 fo. 59, page 58: At the top of the page is a black and white watercolour of 'Old Shelford House' ‘1640-1852’ copied from a sketch and a description of the Wale family with another watercolour of the entrance lodge of Little Shelford Hall drawn by F.L. Wale 1902. The notes and words of a song form the page's border. [fo.49]

 A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P??


A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P59 (NB There are two p59s - this is the first) fo. 60, page 591: At the top of the page is a copy of a pencil sketch by L. Wale of Old Shelford house in 1850, description of the house and of the old walnut trees written in 1913. At the bottom of the page is a black and white water- colour of trees at Shelford Hall, copied from drawing by Louisa Wale of 1850. [fo.50, but with mount G]


A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P59 (NB There are two p59s - this is the second) fo. 61, page 592 : Two coloured watercolour bird’s-eye views of Shelford hall from different angles copied from paintings by Col. Robert Wale, with information on Col. Wale. [fo.51]


A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P60 fo. 62, page 60: The pedigree of Wale of Shelford Parva, Cambridge. The fo. is decorated with coats of arms of different families/Sir E. West, Simon de Wahul, Wale of Ireland, Wale of Eydon, Wale of Coln Priory, Whately Archbishop of Dublin, Ireland. [fo.52, apparently a late addition as on thinner photographic paper and exceptionally with ms notes on the back by FL Wale and others]



A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P61 fo. 63, page 61: F.L. Wale's copy of a coloured watercolour of Gregory Wale aged about 5 years, painted 1668. Artist unknown. On the left hand side is a black and white watercolour of a snow-berry (as 2 sons of Sir Charles Wale were poisoned by them.)Pedigree of Wale of Shelford Parva continued from previous page, written 1916. [not in photographic copy]

 
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P62 fo. 64, page 62: Printed notices about the Caldwell Challenge cup, won by Sergt. Dixon,  and the Wale Challenge plate won by C. Company, a photograph of group from the Cambridgeshire Militia when training in Ely (Lt. Col. R.G. Wale, Capt. Heylock, Capt. Bendish of Barrington, Henry Adeane of Babraham, Colonel Duncombe, C.P. Yorke, Capt. Dickment, Captain (later Colonel) Reed, 1852) and printed notice of Colonel Wale's death in 1892 all pasted in.
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P63 fo. 65, page 63: Photograph of the monument to Lucretia Georgiana Browne West, and her husband Sir Edward West, both died in 1828. [not in photographic copy]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P64 fo. 66, page 64: Photograph of page 33 with illustration and description of the Wale monument, followed by note on ‘Lineal descendants of Gen. Sir Charles Wale, K.C.B.’ [not in photographic copy]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P65 fo. 67, page 65: History of Wale of Shelford and the military descendants of Gen. Sir Charles Wale, up to December 1916. [not in photographic copy]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P66 fo. 68, page 66: A black and white watercolour of The Pound Yard and Lime Cottage with descriptions; below is a picture of Church Street and road to Whittlesford, watercolour [fo.53]
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P67  fo. 69, page 67: A ground plan of Ivy Cottage and grounds done in coloured watercolour with description of the cottage which had been damaged by fire in 1890, 1914. The border is a watercolour of ivy. [fo.54]
 
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P68 fo. 70, page 68: At the top of the page is a coloured watercolour of Ivy Cottage and garden, 1907, with long description of it and its inhabitants. [fo.55, with mount H]

 
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P69 fo. 71, page 69. A black and white watercolour of view of Whittlesford road with description. At bottom: watercolour in black and white of Shelford hall. [fo.56, with mount H]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P70 fo. 72, page 70: At the top of the page is a photo of ‘The Terrace’ and a list of the inhabitants and their families 1912-19, also of Swiss Cottage. The photograph shows Joe Payne - Ben Payne - Hepsiba Andrews - Grandmother Prior with grandchild (inhabitants of The Terrace). [fo.58, with mount B]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P72  fo. 74, page 72: A photograph of The Terrace with Arthur Carter, Mrs. Nunn and baby; description of east end group of cottages 1912 and 1915. At the bottom of the page is another photo of Mrs. Jackson and Edith Payne. A watercolour of foliage borders the writing. [fo.57, but lacking border, instead within mount B]

 

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P74 fo. 76, page 74: Coloured watercolour painting of the Manor Farm with description. The border includes wheat, a bat, corn and leaves, black and white watercolour. Note that Little Shelford was described as ‘The garden of Cambridgeshire’ and large watercolour of a leaf. [not in photographic copy]
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P75


A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P76 fo. 78, page 76: At the top of the page is a sketch of Palavicini's coat of arms and description, taken from William Cole's manuscripts. At the bottom is a watercolour of the bathing tank and dam across the Granta to turn the water into moat made by Palavicini (border). [fo.59]



A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P77 fo. 79, page 77: The photo at the top is of an oil painting of the eastern side of Palavicini's house. A description of Palavicini's Manor House is given, and its history. At the bottom there is a postcard of the Manor House, Little Shelford, 1916. The border is of watercoloured dragonflies and flowers. [fo.60, but within mount F]


A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P78 fo. 80, page 78: The modern Manor House, long description of house and inhabitants with postcard view at the bottom, 1914. [not in photographic copy]

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P79 fo. 81, page 79: Index of persons (a photograph stuck in).  [not in photographic copy]

 
 
 
 A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale - cover
 
 
 

To see the first 30 pages of A Record of Shelford Parva click here

A searchable version of the book is available at the bottom of this page
Subpages (60): View All
Comments