Buildings‎ > ‎

Blacksmith's forge

"Charles Elbourne died in 1908 but this photograph shows him walking down Church Street when he was 68 years of age accompanied by his little grandson Charlemagne, then 5 years and 8 months old; in 1914 he enlisted to fight the Germans." From A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P37
Charles Elbourne died in 1908 but this photograph shows him walking down Church Street when he was 68 years of age accompanied by his little grandson Charlemagne, then 5 years and 8 months old; in 1914 he enlisted to fight the Germans." From A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale


The blacksmith's workshop (now demolished), Hauxton Road, Little Shelford
 
 
Outing outside of the Blacksmith's workshop, Hauxton Road, Little Shelford
The old Forge cottage prior to restoration, Hauxton Road, Little Shelford
The old Forge cottage prior to restoration, 1975
Men at work in the blacksmith's workshop, Hauxton Road, Little Shelford
Edward Elbourne and his two sons, Charlie and Malcolm can be seen lowering the iron tyre onto the wooden part of the cartwheel. The iron tyre , which had already been made to the correct size, was heated until red hot over an open fire, which can be seen in the background. It takes three men to lift the tyre from the fire onto the wheel. Then water had to be poured on the rim to prevent the woodwork from catching fire and to cause the iron tyre to cool and shrink more quickly (note the cans of water standing ready). A cartwheel could be re- tyred several times during its lifetime.

Newspaper cutting about village blacksmith, Hauxton Road, Little Shelford


The Old Forge cottage prior to restoration, Hauxton Road, Little Shelford
Blacksmith and The Prince Regent Pub, from Church Street, Little Shelford
Blacksmith's workshop and Prince Regent (now Sycamore House) from Church Street, Little Shelford
Prince Regent (now Sycamore House) and Forge Cottage from Church Street, Little Shelford
Comments