These are photos of a model of Shelford Old Hall, in Little Shelford from the Cambridge Folk Museum. The hall was built in 1640 and demolished in 1852. Part of the north wing remains, known as the Lodge, which can be found at the junction of Whittlesford Road and Bridge Lane.
Old Shelford Hall was a Tudor development of a medieval hallhouse,
modernised in the Georgian style by Thomas Wale on his return from Riga in the 1760s.
The model made in the late 1840s shows U-shaped ranges enclosing an open courtyard; a sketch reproduced
in F.L. Wales’ book gives an idea of the rambling and unpretentious charm of
the buildings. With its six staircases, beamed and oak-panelled rooms and
enormous Elizabethan fireplaces it seems to have been a commodious and
comfortable house, lived in and loved by generations of Wales. It was however
not grand, and it had to go. During 1850 the new resplendent Hall was arising
in the Park and a few years later the old house was demolished, only a rump
surviving on Bridge Lane to serve as an entrance Lodge.