Buildings‎ > ‎Little Shelford Hall‎ > ‎

Shelford Hall photos

This page features photos and paintings of Shelford New Hall, which burnt down in 1929.

Click here to read about the history of Shelford Old Hall and Shelford New Hall.

Click here to read about what life was like at Little Shelford New Hall.

Click here to see photos after the fire at the New Hall.              

Click here to see photos of a model of the Old Hall.
 
  Little Shelford Hall
Little Shelford New Hall
 
 

Postcard of Shelford New Hall from 1921
 Little Shelford Hall
Little Shelford New Hall
 Little Shelford Hall
Little Shelford New Hall

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P59

A painting of the New Hall from A Record of Shelford Parve by Fanny Wale.

Little Shelford HallLittle Shelford New Hall



A painting of Shelford New Hall with the ice ponds in the
foreground. They can still be seen on the Wale Recreation
Ground.

 
 
Drawing of the hall layout by John Altham, who lived in the hall.
Click on this drawing to see a larger version.
"Built in around 1866 by Gregory Wale who pulled down half the old Wale home leaving the remaining half as a lodge at the gate to the New Hall. The Hall was gutted by fire in 1928. Instead of rebuilding it, the Lodge was added to again to be the family home.
"Fiorella, Psyche and I lived in the Lodge from about 1916 
but later lived in the Hall with our Great Aunt Isa Eden (nee Willis) until 1928. We all then lived in the enlarged lodge until 1939 when war broke out and the family moved to 12 Brookside, Cambridge.
The Lodge was sold after the war. This was drawn by 
Barty (S.G.R.) Willis from near the river. He built South Lodge in the 1920s." 
John Altham - his plan of the hall drawn from memory can be seen above.

Little Shelford HallLittle Shelford New Hall

 
A painting of Little Shelford New Hall


The wedding of Adelaide Wale to Reginald Willis in 1881
with Shelford New Hall in the background.


"Old Shelford House 1640 to 1852." From A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P58

Shelford Old Hall, built 1640 demolished 1852 


 






 A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P59

A painting of Shelford Old Hall in 1860 from A Record of
Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale. Whittlesford Road can be seen on the left hand side.
 


A drawing of Shelford Old Hall.
 
 "Old Shelford House in 1850." From A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P59
A drawing of Shelford Old Hall.


The Lodge, at the junction of Bridge Lane and Whittlesford Road is all that remains of the old Hall.

 The Lodge, Bridge Lane, Little Shelford

The Lodge, at the junction of Bridge Lane and Whittlesford Road is all that remains of the old Hall. Here it is seen from the Hall gardens
 
"The view of the entrance lodge (to Shelford Hall) was drawn by F.L. Wale in 1902." From A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P58
A drawing of Shelford Old Hall from what is now
Whittlesford Road.
 

 The Lodge, Bridge Lane, Little Shelford

The Lodge, at the junction of Bridge Lane and Whittlesford Road is all that remains of the old Hall.

The Lodge, Bridge Lane, Little Shelford

The Lodge, at the junction of Bridge Lane and Whittlesford Road,is all that remains of the old Hall.

  
Click here to read about the history of Shelford Old Hall and Shelford New Hall.

Click here to read about what life was like at Little Shelford New Hall.

Click here to see photos after the fire at the New Hall.              

Click here to see photos of a model of the Old Hall.
 
Comments