John Pares Wilson, who lived at the Manor House in Little Shelford, won the Military Cross in World War 1.
2nd Lieutenant Wilson won his major award as a member of the Royal Regiment of Artillery in 1916.
The citation stated:
For conspicuous gallantry in action. He displayed great courage and determination in organising and maintaining a telephone line under very heavy fire. He has previously done fine work.
Mr Pares Wilson was a Church Warden at All Saints Church until his death in 1957.
Following his death, his widow Beatrice Pendlebury- Worsley married Sir Charles Saumarez Daniel in 1963. He was the Third Sea Lord and Controller of the Navy.
The medals pictured are for Lieutenant Arthur Chandler Wilson MB, ChB, Royal Army Medical Corps (British War Medal correctly inscribed to Lieut A C Wilson,
Victory Medal correctly inscribed to Lieut A C Wilson) and the Military Cross Group to Lieutenant John Pares Wilson MC Royal Field Artillery as well as the British War Medal Correctly inscribed to Lieut J P Wilson and the Victory Medal correctly inscribed to Lieut J P Wilson.
Although born in Lancashire, John and his sister Marjory called Little Shelford in Cambridgeshire their home.