Little Shelford Hall

This page features photos and paintings of Shelford New Hall, which burnt down in 1929, and drawings of Shelford Old Hall.

Click here to read about the history of Shelford Old Hall and Shelford New Hall.

Click here to read about what life was like at Little Shelford New Hall.

Click here to see photos after the fire at the New Hall.              

Click here to see photos of a model of the Old Hall.
Little Shelford Hall

A drawing of the southern aspect of Little Shelford New Hall (facing what is now the Little Shelford Rec)

 Little Shelford Hall
The southern aspect of Little Shelford New Hall (facing what is now the Little Shelford Rec)

 Little Shelford Hall
The northern aspect of Little Shelford New Hall showing the main entrance to the hall. (This would be facing Bridge Lane)



The northern aspect of Little Shelford New Hall showing the main entrance to the hall in a painting by Fanny Wale made in 1897. (This would be facing Bridge Lane)
 Little Shelford Hall

The northern aspect of Little Shelford New Hall showing the main entrance to the hall. 


The southern aspect of Little Shelford New Hall - this would have been the view of the hall from the cricket pitch on the Wale Recreation Ground.
 

The northern aspect of Little Shelford New Hall showing the main entrance to the hall. This photo was taken from what is now Bridge Lane in Little Shelford.
 

The tennis court on the south eastern aspect of Little Shelford New Hall

The northern aspect of Little Shelford New Hall showing the main entrance to the hall.


Steps up from the River Cam on the southern aspect of Little Shelford New Hall
 
Little Shelford Hall
The southern aspect of Little Shelford New Hall (facing what is now the Little Shelford Rec)
 
The tennis court on the south side of the Little Shelford New Hall (facing what is now the Little Shelford Rec)


The tennis court and the southern aspect of Little Shelford New Hall (facing what is now the Little Shelford Rec)
 
Probably Little Shelford New Hall around 1885 (facing what is now the Little Shelford Rec)


A drawing of the southern aspect of Little Shelford New Hall (facing what is now the Little Shelford Rec)
 
The southern aspect of Little Shelford New Hall from what is now the Wale Recreation Ground. Part of the ha-ha still exist.


A painting of Shelford New Hall with the ice ponds in the foreground. They can still be seen on the Wale Recreation Ground.
 

This is a painting of the wedding of Adelaide Wale in 1881. It features the north side of Shelford New Hall including the main entrance to the hall.



A painting of the main entrance to the north side of Little Shelford New Hall.



Postcard of Shelford New Hall from 1921 showing the driveway to the front (the west) of the house. The driveway entered the estate from Whittlesford Road.




Part of the northern side of Shelford New Hall. The driveway entered the estate from Whittlesford Road.



Shelford New Hall from the south east.


Shelford New Hall from the south east



Playing croquet on the south side of Shelford New Hall. (Fanny Wale copied this from a photo for her book A Record of Shelford Parva)


The chauffeur Albert Thorogood with the family Rolls Royce in front of the New Hall.


The chauffeur later inherited the Rolls Royce (see above). He
is pictured here using it to plough his allotment.
 


Press coverage in the Cambridge Chronicle following the fire at Little Shelford New Hall on February 24 1929.

The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall

Press coverage in the Cambridge Press and News following the fire at Little Shelford New Hall
on February 24 1929.

 The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall

Little Shelford New Hall following the fire on February 24 1929.

The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall
Furniture being carried out following the fire at Little Shelford New Hall on February 24 1929.

 The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall
The destruction following the fire at Little Shelford New Hall on February 24 1929.

The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall

Furniture being carried out following the fire at Little Shelford New Hall on February 24 1929.

The destruction following the fire at Little Shelford New Hall on February 24 1929.

 The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall
The destruction following the fire at Little Shelford New Hall on February 24 1929.

The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall
The destruction following the fire at Little Shelford New Hall on February 24 1929. The lady on the right is Miss Eaden
who was one of 9 people in the hall when the blaze started.

A cutting about the Hall Fire from the Nottingham Gazette.

 

A cutting about the Hall Fire from the front page of the Birmingham Gazette
 

A drawing of the hall layout by John Altham, who lived in the hall.
Click on his drawing to see a larger version of the sketch.

"Built in around 1866 by Gregory Wale who pulled down half the old 
Wale home leaving the remaining half as a lodge at the gate to the 
New Hall. The Hall was gutted by fire in 1928. Instead of rebuilding it, 
the Lodge was added to again to be the family home.
"Fiorella, Psyche and I lived in the Lodge from about 1916 
but later lived in the Hall with our Great Aunt Isa Eden (nee Willis)
until 1928. We all then lived in the enlarged lodge until 1939 when 
war broke out and the family moved to 12 Brookside, Cambridge.
The Lodge was sold after the war. This was drawn by 
Barty (S.G.R.) Willis from near the river. He built South Lodge
 in the 1920s." 

John Altham 


A map of the Shelford New Hall and the Wale estate from A Record of Shelford Parva by
Fanny Wale. "This map is a tracing from one at King's College Cambridge
and was given to me (Fanny Wale) by Mr Corbett who passed away
in 1926."

A map of the Wale estate including Shelford New Hall

 The Lodge, Bridge Lane, Little Shelford

The Lodge was originally part of Little Shelford Old Hall.  It was later used as the gatehouse for Little Shelford New
Hall.
It was used as a home for army officers in World War two. It is now a family home.
The Lodge, Bridge Lane, Little Shelford

The Lodge was originally part of Little Shelford Old Hall.  It was later used as the gatehouse for Little Shelford New Hall. It is now a family home.
 The Lodge, Bridge Lane, Little Shelford

The Lodge was originally part of Little Shelford Old Hall.  It was later used as the gatehouse for Little Shelford New Hall. It is now a family home.

The Lodge was originally part of Little Shelford Old Hall.  It was later used as the gatehouse for Little Shelford New Hall. It is now a family home.
 

The Lodge was originally part of Little Shelford Old Hall.  It was later used as the gatehouse for Little Shelford New Hall. It is now a family home.
 The Lodge, Bridge Lane, Little Shelford
The Lodge was originally part of Little Shelford Old Hall.  It was later used as the gatehouse for Little Shelford New 
Hall. It is now a family home.
This photo was taken from the grounds of the New Hall.
 
The Lodge was originally part of Little Shelford Old Hall.  It was later used as the gatehouse for Little Shelford New Hall. It is now a family home.


A pencil drawing of Little Shelford Old Hall, probably by Fanny Wale. The hall is seen from what is now Camping Close and the Whittlesford Road.
The first Shelford Hall, or the Old House, was built in 1640. It was altered in 1764 by Thomas Wale and then largely demolished in 1852.



A pencil drawing of the lodge, what remained of Little Shelford Old Hall, probably by Fanny Wale in 1903. The hall is seen from what is now Camping Close and the Whittlesford Road.
The first Shelford Hall, or the Old Housewas built in 1640. It was altered in 1764 by Thomas Wale  and then largely demolished in 1852.

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P59
A pencil drawing of Little Shelford Old Hall, from the northern aspect, probably by Louisa Wale. The first Shelford Hall, or the Old House, was built in 1640. It was altered in 1764 by Thomas Wale and then largely demolished around 1852. 
 

A pencil drawing of Little Shelford Old Hall from the eastern aspect, probably by Fanny Wale. The first Shelford Hall, or the Old House, was built in 1640. It was altered in 1764 by Thomas Wale  and then largely demolished in 1852.
 

A pencil drawing of Little Shelford Old Hall from the southern aspect, probably by Fanny Wale. The first Shelford Hall, or the Old House, was built in 1640. It was altered in 1764 by Thomas Wale  and then largely demolished in 1852.


A pencil drawing of the Lodge, what remained of the Shelford Old Hall from the southern aspect which was largely demolished in the 1850s.


A copy of a Victorian pencil drawing of the Lodge, made by Rosemary Nicholls in 1977.

 A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P59
A painting of Little Shelford New Hall dated 1889 by Fanny Wale from A Record of Shelford Parva. It could've been copied from the painting (below) which is still owned by the Wale family.
The Shelford Old Hall, or the Old House, was built in 1640. It was altered in 1764 by Thomas Wale  and then largely demolished in 1852.

A painting of Little Shelford New Hall.


A painting of Little Shelford Old Hall dated 1860 by Fanny Wale from A Record of Shelford Parva. It could've been copied from the painting below owned by the Wale family.
The first Shelford Hall, or the Old House, was built in 1640. It was altered in 1764 by Thomas Wale  and then largely demolished in 1852.

 

A painting of Little Shelford old Hall owned by the Wale family. The first Shelford Hall, or the Old House, was built in 1640. It was altered in 1764 by Thomas Wale
 and then largely 
demolished in 1852.

A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P76
A drawing of the boathouse at Little Shelford New Hall from a Record of Shelford Parva
 
A drawing of Little Shelford Old Hall from the southern aspect and what is now Whittlesford Road. The first Shelford Hall, or the Old House, was built in 1640. It was altered
in 1764 by Thomas Wale and then largely 
demolished in 1852.

Click here to read about the history of Shelford Old Hall and Shelford New Hall.

Click here to read about what life was like at Little Shelford 
New Hall.

Click here to see photos after the fire at the New Hall.              

Click here to see photos of a model of the Old Hall.
 

Comments