Historical photos and old postcards of Bridge Lane, Little Shelford

Little Shelford Hall
 Little Shelford Hall
 Little Shelford Hall
 
Little Shelford Hall
Little Shelford Hall
 Little Shelford Hall. Built 1851. Burnt down 1929.
 Little Shelford Hall. Built 1851. Burnt down 1929.
 
 Little Shelford Hall. Built 1851. Burnt down 1929.
A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P59
 The view from Little Shelford Hall towards what is now the Wale Recreation Ground. the hall was built in 1851. It burnt down in 1929.

 Drawing by Fanny Wale in 1922 based on a photo from the 1850s showing croquet on the lawn of Little Shelford Hall.
Frida, Gracie, Ned, Auntie, Midge and Isa at Little Shelford Hall 1889
 Jean Thorogood in front of Little Shelford Hall. Her father Albert was chauffeur and head gardener.

Albert Thorogood was the chauffeur and head gardener at Little Shelford Hall in the 1920s. When the owner Mrs Altham died, she left Albert the bentley. Here you can see him using the car to plough his smallholding beside the railway crossing on Hauxton Road.
 Albert Thorogood, chauffeur and head gardener at Little Shelford Hall in the 1920s. When the owner Mrs Altham died, she left Albert the bentley. 
 Press coverage of the fire at Little Shelford Hall. Built 1851. Burnt down 1929. 
 The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall
 
The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall
 The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall 
 ess coverage of the fire at Little Shelford Hall. Built 1851. Burnt down 1929  
 The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall
  
The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall
 The aftermath of the fire at Little Shelford Hall 
  
 

   
"Old Shelford House 1640 to 1852." From A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P58 
 
 "Old Shelford House in 1850." From A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P59    
 "The view of the entrance lodge (to Shelford Hall) was drawn by F.L. Wale in 1902." From A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P58  
 A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P59  
   
 The Lodge, Bridge Lane, Little Shelford  
   
Painting of The Lodge, Bridge Lane, Little Shelford (formerly part of Little Shelford Old Hall, demolished in 1851)
 The Lodge, Bridge Lane, Little Shelford (formerly part of Little Shelford Old Hall, demolished in 1851) 

 The Lodge, Bridge Lane, Little Shelford 
 The Lodge, Bridge Lane, Little Shelford    
 The Lodge, Bridge Lane, Little Shelford
  
Shelford bridges on Bridge Lane
 "On the right are the Manor House grounds and Shelford Hall garden and lodge on the left. The x marks the spot between Shelford Magna and Shelford Parva." From  A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P7
 
 " On the wall between the bridges, there is a black line to mark the boundary of the two parishes. About seventy years ago the boys of both parishes used to meet and fight at the boundary line. Now, in 1903 they all play football and cricket together." From A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P9
 
  

 

 
The swimming section of the River Cam in Little Shelford
 
 
From A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale
 "The carp pond made by Thomas Wale 1767 and sketched by Louise Wale 1851. The stream from Whittlesford runs into this pond." From A Record of Shelford Parva by Fanny Wale P7 
  

Great and Little Shelford 1889

 For more old photos and historical postcards of Little Shelford, click here.  
Comments